Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Moral of The Story.

The day my daughter was born, was perhaps one of the happiest  days of my life, I can remember exactly what song was on the radio, what the weather was like, what I had for lunch, even the nurses names. I also remember very clearly the smell and touch of that new born flesh and blood which I had help to create.

Unfortunately when kids are born, no hand book happens to pop out at the same time. You basically get home and , well, you are now a parent. I was determined to be the bast Dad I could.  My daughter is twelve now, growing every day, becoming more and more independent. She is loyal, loving kind, generous, and to be honest I could not ask for a better daughter.  So now I want to tell a story about something that happened when she was two years old, that taught  me a very valuable lesson, that I will never forget......

Just after her second birthday, we decide that we would start potty training her. The signs were all ready there that she was aware of the "need to go",. So we started the process. To be honest it was easy, from memory we only had one accident.   At night though we were still putting a nappy on her.

This was where it started getting frustrating, she was for ever taking if off , we never had any accidents, but it was annoying the hell out of me.  Every time I went into her bedroom I was having to put on a new nappy.

This particular night I walked in to her room, to find yet agin that she had removed her nappy, and I lost it with her. Told her off big time, thru another nappy on her and turned to walk out of her bedroom, only to see that she here potty was .........full.   The girl had removed her nappy to go toilet and when I walked in she was in the process of trying to put it back on.  I shall not for get the sinking feeling that came over me, here I was being a complete idiot, when all she had been trying to do was the right thing.

I learnt a valuable lesson that day, and I hope because of it I became a better Dad, ...........well at least one who likes to get the full story before passing judgement, and that is what they say is the moral of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment