Sunday, March 11, 2012

South Head Forest- A Rogeys Gravel Rash Adventure.

I pull the garage door up, it is Sunday morning, 6.45 and I am looking at the rain poring down. Thoughts of my comfy bed that I had left half hour earlier filled my mind.  Do I really want to do this today? I really just felt like climbing back into bed.  The flu I had all week was still affecting me, I am sure I could justify my non appearance by using that excuse.  Cough, cough, sniffle sniffle...

P1010332

P1010328

 Bugger...I am up now, bike gear is on, I might as well go.  If it is teaming down when I get to the meeting point in Shelly beach then I will head home.  At least I would of got out for a ride.

P1010346

 The ride up to Shelly Beach takes me a good 1 1/4 hours, the time I arrived there was no rain.  Yes it was overcast, a little drizzle at times, but certainly not enough to stop me riding. Most of the ride this day was done in dry conditions.   And that is all I am gonna say about the weather.

P1010338

P1010337

Once at the meeting point other bikes started to arrive.  I in all  20 I think.  Perhaps if it wasn't for the early morning rain (oops i mentioned it) there probably would of been more. There was a good mixture of bikes from KTM;s to big BMW's, and off road bikes. As the ride through the forest is only allowed with a permit we all had to pay a small fee. Adam Shani who has spent the last three years riding around the world also joined us.  It was a pleasure to meet a guy with such an adventurous spirit. Por bugger is heading to Australia next....I took it upon myself to warn him about all the things that can eat you over there.  I am good like that.

Once up at the gate to the forest we met our guide for the day, who opened the gates and let us in.

Most of the gravel was nice and compact and has I had voulentered to be TEC so I just sat back and plodded along.

A small diversion off the road and down a grass track to look at the lake was fun. Then back onto the gravel before we encountered some heavy sand to ride through.  This was a bit different and new to me.  You just have to keep hard on the throttle and drive through it.  At one stage we diverted through the forest to ad void a big up hill bit. Glad we did otherwise I would probably still be digging out the bike.  Times like this I wish I had a knobbly on the back.  I think I lost about 3 kgs riding this sandy bit...was swating by the end of it.  

We stopped by the beach and I saw a couple of sharks washed up.  Thought of taking one home for dinner...
P1010344


Her is a video link of some of the sand...hope Ian doesn't mind me stealing it to show everyone.


15 comments:

  1. Looks like a good turnout! What is TEC? I am assuming it has something to do with tail gunner position?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, TEC...Tail end Charlie! Just to clarify that for you. Turn out would have probably been better if it wasn't for the rain. Still good all the same.

      Delete
  2. Nice! Some great pics on FB of your ride. Seriously doubt that the DL would like grass on it's current rubber too - unfortunately you can't get a tyre that performs perfectly in all conditions...oh, and lasts the distance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mate, yes it would be nice to just interchange at will, the knobbly on the front and the tourence on the back seem a good compromise though.

      Delete
  3. Man, your BMW sure is a pretty bike. I've loved that color combo since I first saw it.

    The ride looks like great fun, glad you are feeling better.

    After seeing the shark picture, all I can think of are the Saturday Night Live "Land Shark" skits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy: Thanks for the compliment on the bike. I like the way it looks top..except for the top box...I dont like the top box but it is pratical for when I am commuting to work.

      Delete
  4. Looks like it was well worth getting up early. Poor sharks, though. Fascinating species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja: I agree they are an interesting species. I have never seen them washed up before it was a bit strange.

      Delete
  5. Roger:

    I have no experience off road, and my Vstrom would be too heavy if something happened.

    It was nice finding that Shark, too bad you had to leave it behind. Wonder what happened, why it was there

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob: There was a guy on the ride on a 650 Strom, and he did seem to be struggling a bit on the sand.
      I am also curious to know how the sharks got there,

      Delete
    2. Perhaps an extra 350cc was in order ;)

      At least he would have dug a deeper hole...

      Delete
  6. Nice ride photos. What is it with the rain? Is there no where dry and sunny these days! I saw something on the news tonight about sharks in a feeding frenzy, I think in Australia. Must be true what you say. Nasty things that eat you on land AND in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kari: The weather patters worldwide seem a bit up the duff, just have to go with the flow I suppose

      Delete
  7. What is the trail like through the forest? Another part I go to and wish I had gone further at is right at the end of South head, but I only go as far as the road and stop at the gravel, now that I am comfortable on gravel I want to go right out to the end and see what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail is not to hard mate, plenty of big bikes went through that day, sand was heavy in places but we all went trough it ok. No good on road bike, duel purpose or trail only I would suggest.

      Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete