Thursday, February 17, 2011

Advanced Rider Training.....Why?

To attain a motorcycle license in NZ, you first have to complete a basic handling course.  This entails about three hours of rider instruction on the basics of riding a bike.  Breaking, gear changing , ride around a few cones, and presto you have a BHC.    You then take this to the testing station, answering 20 road code questions, and presto you are legal to ride on NZ roads.  After a further six months you sit another test with a tester who will either pass or fail you, if you pass you move onto a Restricted license, a few months later you eligible to sit your full test. 

This was how I got my license.  I personally think the first part, especially, is woefully inadequate to prepare riders for the dangers of our roads, yet this is all that is required.  Alex who worked for me was at this stage of his license, when he was killed on his way to work.  New Zealnd has a shocking motorbike accident rate.  Last year on NZ roads there were 356 deaths, of which 56 were motorcyclists.

The full extent of my rider training is as above, everything else I have learnt ,I have learnt from other riders, by the mistakes I have made, and by reading a few books.

I have been encouraged of late by Geoff James and his desire to complete an Advanced rider instructor course, and this has made me painfully aware how little real training I have ever undertaking.  During my visit to him on Saturday we briefly discussed a left hand cornering technique, his view so much different to mine, and once again I was made aware of how little I really know about riding a bike.

With this all playing heavily on my mind I have finally got myself organised and booked some one on one training with a a highly recommended instructor.  I don't think I have been as nervous about something bike related since I first sat my license.   I mentioned to a friend who does not ride a bike, what I intended doing.  Why he asks? you ride thousand of miles a year.  I tried to explain to him , how much more is involved to riding than just hoping on a bike and going.  I am not sure he got it....

So on February 28th I will undertake my very first advanced rider training. I will let you all know how I get on.




19 comments:

  1. Another great post Rog and I'm sure that you'll find Tricia a superb instructor. Very much looking forward to your feedback and no doubt highly entertaining account!

    BTW, I reported a campervan driver to the hire company on Wednesday for multiple crossings of the centreline on the Thames coast road, even on blind bends. The driver put someone coming the other way onto the grass verge! Idiots like this are just one powerful reason for acquiring superior driving skills.

    All the best for the end of the month mate - you'll do very well indeed with your fantastic attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a landmark day! Feb 28... Good for you to recognize that we are never too old to learn and that we are always capable of improving ourselves. There are a few more cheeky comments I could make. ;)

    I look forward to hearing of your experiences.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roger, I really get that anxiety thing. I feel the same thing when I did training. I was eager and wanting to learn, but very anxious. It let go once I got into the swing of things. Good on you, for doing this.

    Like Geoff, I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. Good luck and enjoy!

    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah...as to the "Why" in the title?? BECAUSE YOU NEED IT! hehehe... ;) I know, I know...cheeky American. ;)

    My confirmation word was "defect"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geoff, I have no idea with what it is going on with peoples driving at the moment,coming home from work I saw 3 near misses. perhaps it is the full moon.

    Thanks for the encouragement, I am very looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori.......you are entitled to be cheeky, but I am sure I can out wit you! Old is not a word that is in my vocab...heheh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keith, Thanks for your support. I am so looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several of us took the Advance Rider Training course last year, taught by the infamous Irondad. After 20 years of riding I still learned a lot and can't wait to take it again next year on the Tiger. I'd like to take the Intermediate Rider Course with Trobairitz this year, if I only learn one thing it makes it worth it.
    The way I see it is, if drivers aren't going to take driver's training I better well take rider training.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Troubadour...excellent comment I couldn't agree more. Sounds like Irondad is one fellar Iwould like to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea. I feel encouraged to sign up for one of those courses, too. I guess I will join my hubby when he takes his motorcycle courses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one thing I miss since I retired from the Air Force, they would pay for MC classes. I miss taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roger I reckon you are doing the right thing, no matter how many thousands of kilometres we have ridden we can always learn something new. I learnt to ride a bike in the Police motorcycle traing school which was excellent but that was about 1000 years ago now so I could also do with some updated info. I look forward to reading about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When Ron got his endorsement I don't think there were classes, or at least we'd never heard of any. Somehow he learned to ride, acquired a bike...I don't know in what order, and muddled through the DMV test well enough to get endorsed. Then I hopped on the back and we were off...with one helmet between us. Ah youth!

    Good for you taking more training! You'll love it. I took an advanced class last summer. Scary, fun, and exhausting all at the same time. I was very nervous too, and it took months to work up the courage to sign up. Yeah, you'll have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ken; No time like the present. I I hope my experince will encourage others to give it a go.

    Rider; No doubt that training you had was excellent. No time like now to do a refresher though. We never stop learning do we?

    BlueKat: Yep those were the days, handed out licenses like they were brekfast cereal! Well they did over here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sonja, Do it! It will be interesting to compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder who the lucky instructor is?? I have been told that she has an excellent following i.e students from as far away as New Plymouth, but I don't know if she is all THAT good!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tricia.....carnt let every one know my secrets just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mais Oui!!!! You haven't come to terms with your secrets yet!!!! PML ;o)

    ReplyDelete