Saturday, February 12, 2011

Coromandel for lunch!

With the weather for cast for the weekend looking dodgy since Monday, I was in two minds as to  weather to plan a weekend away on the bike, or stay at home.    

Having met Geoff for the first time last week, and not having had much of an opportunity to talk , I decided that if the weather was any good, a day trip or overnight to Coromandel would be an excellent idea.  From my house it is no more than a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride.

I  sent Geoff a text on Friday, and asked if he would be around.  He replied in the affirmative, although did mention that the weather was going to be crap, how unusual, summer in NZ!  Still I got up Saturday morning and looked out the window, all was good as far as I could see, it was overcast , but there was no sign of rain.  I texted Geoff , who replied that it was raining and windy in Coro. I was all ready packed, and suited up so decided to go anyway, I don't tend to let a bit of rain stand in my way.

I left Auckland and headed out past Kawakawa Bay, Kaiaua, and into Thames.  This very scenic route takes you down the coast as you ride along towards Kaiaua you can see the Coromandle peninsula on your left.  As yet I did not encounter any rain.  A brief stop at the "pink shop" in Kaiaua for a coffee and I continued on.  Into Thames and then up SHW 25 , a beautiful, scenic, twisty and delightful piece of road, that takes you up the western side of the rangers, and  inland to Coromandel.  Still no rain though.


You have just got to love these roads.

Don't get it wrong though, if you do the Firth of Thames can be chilly!

I arrived at Geoff's place just before lunch and was greeted by Geoff's big smile and the smell of freshly home made bread.  Man this motorcycling life can be hard some times!   After meeting Geoff's lovely wife we settled into a coffee on the deck where we chatted as if we were long lost friends.  Covering topics from bikes, blogger's, roads to ride, trips we had done, family, world fiances,  and just about everything in between.  Some where along the way we had lunch, and Geoff's expertise at blogging is only matched by his bread making capabilities.  Just brilliant.

We jumped in the car and we spent half an hour or so driving around some of the beautiful spots and places that Coro has to offer.    What a piece of paradise this place is.  I have been here many times before and have holidayed here may times, but there is nothing like a local showing you around......  Still no rain though.







Finally about four I took my leave.  I suited up and headed back the way I had come arriving home just before seven...... Still no rain though.  

I had a fantastic day, and a great ride.  Spending decent time with Geoff was a lot of fun.  His passion for life, love of his wife, enthusiasm for bikes, great sense of humour and welcoming spirit, is what life is all about. He may have originally come from from England, but he is a  Kiwi through and through!!!!!  And isn't that one of the great joys of motorcycling, meeting people with a common interest. 



And you know what.......it never rained all day!!

17 comments:

  1. oohhhhh!! Sitting on a beautiful deck, next to a beautiful bay talking life! Sounds blissful and glad you had a good time...sans rain!

    Looks like the bike is loaded with that huge pack on the pack? What in the world is in it??

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I am always prepared in case I want to stay some where. I actually had a towel and swimming trunks in case I felt like a swim somewhere. Not to mention , Ipad, change of clothes etc etc....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori:
    I think that Roger had the kitchen sink on his pack just in case. You know these city boys - can't be away from their gadgets for 5 minutes ;-). Must admit that Roger's iPad was pretty darned cool though...

    Roger:
    Great to see you again - you must stay so that we can sink a few cold ones on the deck and have a BBQ when we get back from Vietnam; then do the Loop the following day. Thanks for the kind words but I'm blushing :-). Come any time - the weather gods clearly like you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geoff: I have to admit that weather was weird. Was all prepared for rain, but it never happened. I didn't bring the sink, just most of the utensils, you just never know when you need a pizza slicer....looking forward to next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Roger, your rear tire is starting to be a slick along the middle ;-) Must make use of those curves more often :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. George: Very obserant, but in all fairness, I had only just put it on and the tyre at that point had only done about 80 kms. I will be sure to sort it out though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Geoff! Rog may not admit to the porcelain kitchen sink, but he probably had the collapsible one. :) And I'm think he needs a collapsible oven to go with that pizza slicer.

    And yes, I ride with some guys that love their gadgets. The handlbars are covered with RAM mounts, iPhones, etc. The think their iPhones will be sufficient GPS, but then always ask us to lead... :) What does Rog's alternator look like?? ;)

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post Roger. I like it when bloggers meet up and we get to read about it. This blogging thing dissolves the miles/km's between us, doesn't it? It would be nice if we could all meet at Geoff's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MIke......that would be a awesome idea. Of course the talk would carry on till the early hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. If you already have one I'm thinking we need to see some goodies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely some nice roads there. Nice that you guys had a chance to meet and spend some time together. What a wonderful day!

    If you're still missing the rain, I think it came here instead. Do you want it back?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always claimed NZ to be Paradise on earth since I first visited Auckland and you have just now confirmed my thoughts on the subject...How ironic that some people call it the last Bus Stop?

    ReplyDelete
  14. BAron........not to loud, other wise we will be inundated with people. But "paradise" is the right word to use.

    Bluekat...don't worry our rain will arrive soon enough.

    Lori.........I said I had one, doesn't mean I have ever used it.LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. True boyscout at heart then. Be prepared... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like Mike, I enjoy it when bloggers meet up and I get to read about it. I'm suspecting I'll be reading of more meetings between you and Geoff. I, also, suspect I'm going to like that a lot.
    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keith, I suspect you are right!

    ReplyDelete