Sunday, October 9, 2011

1000miles...and a night at the Hilton.

OK perhaps the title is a tad misleading, I dint exactly do a thousand miles in one day, but in my attempt to cover four days of biking on two bikes it was the best I could come up with.

Thursday I ignored the weather forecast and took the GS to work.  I can see why Keith rides to work every day, it is a great way to start the day.   After work I headed north and took a very very long way home, up SH16, a slight detour down to Port Albert (Gravel road yippee) and then through to Warkworth where I caught up with my folks for dinner.  Eventually getting home after 8.




Friday, feeling inspired and the fact my motorbike gear was strewn all over the bedroom I took the gs again, this time after work I headed South down the motor way, a few back roads to Kiaua.  It was a great evening for riding.  Over the course of the two days riding to and from work I had managed to put 600 Ks on the bike...almost due for its first service, after all I have owned it for 10 days and that is to be expected.



Finally the weekend arrived, I had decided earlier in the week to go away for the weekend with Terry.  We haven't been away for a over nighter for ages, and with spring here it was time to a road trip in.  I decided that Taupo would be a s good a place as any. It is a decent size town with lots to do .  It also gives me many options on the roads to ride to get there.   I eventually settled on going through Taumarnui and National park. These are two of my favourite roads and they did not disappoint again .  It was a great ride, even though it was a bit chilly with the temperature struggling to get above 12 degrees all day.

We got to Taupo just after four where I had a surprise in stall for terry.....I had booked us into THE HILTON for a night.   (It was on special).   A hot shower  and lounging around in the"Hilton" robes that are supplied, and a wee drink (or two) made for a relaxing late afternoon. (I wasnt allowed to take the robe home, but apparantly you are allowed the slippers and the soaps...which I did take).   A bit later we headed out to a bar and enjoyed some food and watching the quarter finals of the Rugby World Cup.....never mind Ireland....never mind England......time to go home.






We left Sunday, the weather was gorgeous and some great riding was had as we headed through Bennydale and further north.     We stopped at a cafe where a nice old gentleman turned up on his, UN restored, or should I say original 1951 BSA.

850ks on the sprint, 600 on the GS the two days before, doesnt quite make a 1000 miles.....but I sure had a 1000 smiles.



22 comments:

  1. Now I curse my CFO for introducing that darn 'one bike policy'. This is one pretty little bike, you make me think now...

    I take it you are multitasking... watching the game and blogging? GO, ALL BLACKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonja: The GS is just a complete blast to ride, so different to the sprint but heaps of fun, I am very much enjoying it. Well done for picking I was multi tasking, well it was all ready written i just posted it.....and Yes the All Blacks won, semi final now against the arch enemy Aussi. It will be a nerve wracking week and 80 minutes. As for your CFo, would you like me to have a word with him.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12 degrees? Chilly? That's considered quite warm over here! Looks like you had a nice trip. I only commute to work by C90 or car. I live quite close to my work and my GS wouldn't warm up properly on the wee journey. What's a CFO?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I feel famous.

    I think the math was close enough on the miles. Each bike rides different. I hope one day to have a "spare" bike. I don't really see that on the horizon, but I suspect I could be surprised.

    Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Roger, I am obviously way behind on my blog reading.  I was reading about your 1,000 mile trip and thought "Wait a minute, I don't remember Roger having a GS!".  Looking back at some of your recent posts cleared this up for me.  Congratulations on your new bike! By the way, I am glad to hear you are not pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeehaw! Drooling over the landscape. (I'm not saying A THING about the bikes!!!) I can guess that you didn't stop too much since there aren't many photos on from the favorite roads. But it looked like a great adventure and wonderful chance to get out. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures... but after 600Ks and 10 days, how is it the GS is still so clean? The BMW service department expects the oil filter to be dirty on both sides as you're supposed to ride it 'through' the mud puddles.
    Glad you're enjoying the bike(s), the Spring weather and were able to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roger

    Wow, you've had a busy few days as opposed to me who has done stuff-all riding in the last week. You certainly don't do things by halves with a stay at the Hilton - hope Terry was suitably impressed!

    Was that photo of your ST at a lookout taken half way up half-way down the hill from the saddle overlooking the Tokaanu hydro station? Looks familiar.

    I'm pretty sure where you saw the old Beeza is the Whakamaru cafe. What's the thing above its headlight, a hand-written manually-scrolled direction strip?

    Nice one mate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike; You mad scotsman, a CFO is Cheif Finacial Officer, normally the one who holds the purse strings in the house hold. 12 degress is cold enough for me.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keith: Glad to invite you along for the ride. A spare bike is a must in this day and age.....well that was my excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gary: Honestly.......where you been, oops I know now, you are forgiven. Yes the GS just been added, full un biased (yeah right) review to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. troubadour: Umm.......Not sure why the bike is clean, it may be that I was it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geoff: Bang on on both counts, as I would expect from a previous local. The hilton was a exception, I dont expect it will become a common occurance. Yep the Bazzz had a hand written scoll for directions. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori: When you get off your butt and come down under you can drool all you like, and over the real thing. It was indeed a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Next some pre-warning please so Shrek & I can join in as I'm in Taupo approx every 2nd weekend & normally on my bike!
    TinaBMW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tina: Will do, Taupo is a good destinantion as it opens up so many different places to go, while still being a small ride home the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Say is that Mount Doom....er Ruaphau in that pic.
    Gee your staying in the Hilton, you kiwis are getting paid to much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good job on getting that many miles on the bike in such a short time. And getting in a quick getaway at the Hilton too. It is nice to getaway every once in a while. Great pictures, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chilletek; )what does that stand for bythe way)? yep Mt Doom, an dno you Aussie sget paid way more than us.....i just like in indulge ccasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Trobaritz: Glad you enjoyed the post. Always good to get away, one of the joys of biking!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best get that service done pronto - the Back Road Riders have a ride on this Sunday. Get down here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am an Airconditioning Mechanic by trade, just no domestic units more on the big stuff PAC unit and chillers etc so chillertek was my cool nick....

    ReplyDelete