Saturday, December 31, 2011

South Island Day 5

Ever since I learnt ho to ride a motorbike I was hooked, I loved it.  The freedom, the camaraderie, that feeling of perfecting the perfect corner, the places I have seen and the people I have met.

Every now and then you have one of those days one a bike when it all comes together.  When you realise how incredibly lucky you to have found something that can send your spirit soaring.....

Day 5

This was a day I had looked to since I first planned this trip.  Haast to Wanaka.  One of the greatest scenic roads in the world, and pure bikers delight.

But first before I left Wanaka I decided to go on a scenic flight.  Not just any ordinary flight, but a flight in a 1941 Tiger Moth....with some acrobatics thrown in for good measure.  What a hoot, and what a stunning morning to fly over Lakes Wanaka and Hawea.  








After the flight I left Wanaka and headed to Hasst via the Haast highway. This magnificent, scenic road with changing views around every  sweeping corner.  From the glistening lakes of Hawea on the left and Wanaka to the right, to Mt Aspiring, through canopy covered roads, waterfalls, and fresh water rivers......It is a mind blowing, heart lifting, awe inspiring ride.  Seriously there is no other road like it in New Zealand, and it is by far my favourite.  Words will never truly explain the shear beauty that beholds you as you ride it.

It is a road that needs to be ridden twice, once to stop continually and take photos, and once just to ride it any true biker wants to ride it...passionately. (but with care)

When God made this road.......he wasnt thinking about camper vans or Four wheel drives......he was thinking about two wheels.












From Haast turned and headed up the unpopulated West Coast, stopping only at Knights point for a picture....the rest was just a blur of sweeping corners and empty roads, I was in biking nirvana. The time when it all comes together.  I stopped in Franz Joseph for fuel and continued on to Hokitika for the night.  A day of riding and adventure that I will never forget.



View Larger Map




View Larger Map

16 comments:

  1. Rog I'm green with envy, wishing I was there. Great pics mate keep em coming. by the way I saw the exact same bike as your trumpy the other day. They are a freaking sweet looking bike in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read days 4&5 a couple of times and am the same colour as Chillertrek. All right you have convinced me I am going to ride them roads once for the scenery and stops and at least once for the pull.....magic! keep the posts coming it really helps on a grey cold UK day....bet Geoff wishes he was with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos looking down on the water rapids. And, I most love that you are having a wonderful time!
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an awesome day.

    Amazing roads on two wheels, beautiful vistas to see and you got to ride in a Tiger Moth..... awesome. I can see you smiling as you type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chiller: THanks for the compliment on the bike, mine is gettin near the 50000km mark now. Just runt in nicely..

    Dylan: Am happy to provide comfort for you on your winter days, It must be a bit frustrating for you reading this blog during your winter?

    Keith: Thanks mate, and a Happy New Year to you .

    Trobaritz: Yep grinning all the way, hard not to really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Captain Flasheart!!!
    Do you look cool in the flying gear or what??? As Dylan says, how I wish I was down there with you on those stunning roads. I think your accompanying words really show your emotions about riding the south island. No matter how many times you go south, your soul is literally lifted. I've literally been close to tears in some places.

    BTW, I've just been listening to a podcast by David Hough and he was raving about his visit to NZ.

    Fabulous series of posts mate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger

    What amazing pictures! Your country is very beautiful! This trip looks like it has been great! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. **JEALOUS!!!** (Don't think of us stuck with grey muggy wet weather in Aux too much.) Ride well bro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW ROG! You are truely living the dream. I love your blogs and 'ramblings' Be safe mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another WOW from me. Stunning pictures. You have me beyond awe. And those colours... Wanderlust strikes me with force now. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Ride safe and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geoff: Flasheart? ( I have been called worse!), You are correct though your spirit certainly gets lifted when riding around down there.

    Dar: Thanks, and happy new year to you also.

    Jamie: ......makes yu wanna get a bike , dont it?!

    Holly: Thanks hon, glaad you enjoy reading them, we are lucky to have such stunning beauty on our door step.

    Songa: I truly think the pitures dont do it justice! You need to see if for your self.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tiger Moth - way to go!!

    Biggles flies undone....

    Happy New year from Algie in England and Nikos in jeaslousland

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful looking day. The plane, the scenery, the road. Oilburner is asking me when I am taking him there. Then he thinks we can do all this in a week. Yeah, right, as if!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREAT photo's Roger, The flying hat suite's you. LOL.
    That looked like it was a good experience,

    Tony T

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT photo's Roger, The flying hat suite's you. LOL.
    That looked like it was a good experience,

    Tony T

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nikos: Thank for noticing~

    Lori: You can do it in a week at a push! But why rush.....

    Tony: Thanks mate, yes i make a great Biggles.

    ReplyDelete